Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ten Animals on Tuesday

Here are some of the animals that live at the Indianapolis Zoo. Technically, they are not all animals--some are insects.

I liked these giraffes. They (the zoo keepers) let you feed them, but we didn't buy any food. I'm not sure Anna understands the concept of feeding an animal with a flat hand. In fact, I'm sure she doesn't because she doesn't feed Spike that way. And it would be a shame for her to lose her hand in a tragic giraffe feeding accident.


I have no idea what animal this is. I'll look next time I'm at the zoo, but I'll probably forget by the time we get home. Seriously, I have virtually no memory since I had Anna. She sucked all the brain cells from me. Hopefully, that means she'll be super-smart.

Anna likes the elephants. Sometimes when she says "elephant" it ends up sounding like "oh sh*!" which is quite embarrassing when we're in public and I can't interpret right away. She does, however, say "Oh shoot" quite clearly. I admit, she got it from me. I keep telling myself it could be worse. A lot worse.

White River State Park is right next to the Indianapolis Zoo and they have a huge garden area (White River Gardens?) and an enormous greenhouse. Every summer they hatch millions (OK, I'm not sure, but a lot) of butterflies inside the greenhouse. It's very cool!




Again, more animals that I know nothing about, other than that they live on the plains and are birds of some sort. I know, I'm just full of information!


If you ask Anna what her favorite animal is, she will tell you that it's a lion, and then probably will give you a roar for good measure. Unfortunately, the day we were there they were trying to nap, so the only photo I got was through the wires.


Wait a minute! What's this one doing in here?!?
(I just knew I couldn't leave the grandparents hanging.)

3 comments:

Faydra said...

Those are some close-up shots - what kind of lens are you using and is your hand really that steady?!

Anonymous said...

You got that right baby!!!

You NEVER leave us without shots of our girl!

Christie said...

I actually WAS really close to the giraffes--they come right up to the fence to eat. All the other photos I took with a zoom lense (Nikkor 18-135 3.5) set between 100and 135mm. I cropped a few photos, but not too much...and the giraffes are not cropped at all.
I have a decently steady hand, and I try to never shoot at a shutter speed slower than the length of the lense. That usually takes care of any blur. Sometimes I hold my breath, too, but I'm not sure how much help that really is.