Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Swift Kick

I've been kicking myself this weekend. Since Thursday, to be exact. Not literally, of course, but the kind of mental kicking that starts with "What in the world were you thinking?!?" and ends with "I'll never do that again!"

Tuesday morning I took photos at the golf course and took my gear with me, including my memory card case, which attached to the strap of my camera bag with velcro and a snap. Incidentally, it had three memory cards in it and a card reader. I wanted to have backups in case I took an insane amount of photos or something happened to the card I was shooting on. Everything went great at the course and I was so exhausted when I got home, I collapsed in the recliner and didn't even bother to look at the photos or transfer them to the computer.

Cut to Thursday morning. (That makes me feel like a screen writer or something! And, yes, I know what a big dork I am.) I was up early because Anna and I had a playdate/photo shoot with our good friends--the first friends we made here in Indiana. (Their new little one is already three months old and I missed taking photos of her as a newborn.) So I sit down with my coffee and think, "Gee, I should really check my camera and switch out the memory cards so I can keep the shots from the paying job totally separate from the ones I'll take today." And this is when I realized it: the case with all my memory cards was gone. Lost? Stolen? Hidden by my increasingly mischievous child? I have no idea, since they never turned up. But I absolutely tore the house up looking for them. And the car. And called Brandon at work even though he is very busy and hates it when I call him, especially if I'm in the middle of a freak out. And I most definitely was. After all, I hadn't even had my coffee yet!

Needless to say, I will never make that mistake again. Provided that I ever have enough memory cards to need a new case. As it stood, we were almost an hour late, since searching for the case put me back about half an hour and then we still had to stop on the way and buy a new memory card. But, I did get some great photos of the baby, which I will post as soon as I transfer them to the computer and do some editing.

Anyway, lesson learned.

2 comments:

Jana Swartwood said...

Wow, that really stinks!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jana...

Stinks like Limburger Cheese!!!!!

And that's bad.....