Friday, September 05, 2008

Summer Nights

One of the main reasons I wanted us to go to the fair in the evening (other than loving the fair and thinking it's great fun) was so I could try my hand at some night time midway photography. Sadly, by the time we got to the midway (and it was dark enough) we were all pretty pooped--literally. Brandon and the stroller had an encounter with some of the non-lovely byproducts of the animal barns. We were also tired and it was past Anna's bedtime. And Brandon was ready to go. And those of you who know Brandon know what that means.

I admit that I didn't give it my best effort because I was tired. But I learned my lesson--next year, I go alone (if Brandon thinks it's safe) or at least leave the kid at home. Maybe go with a friend who likes to ride the rides. Which reminds me how I always wanted to go to the South Florida Fair when I was growing up and never got to--excuse me--was never allowed to go. In high school, everyone would go on the night the fair was open really late and you could ride everything with a bracelet, and then they would all talk about how cool the Gravitron was at school the next week. (For those of you who don't know, the Gravitron spins around really fast so that you get stuck to the walls.) And still, I don't get to ride the rides...

Don't get me wrong--I'm not arguing the fact that a group of teenage kids (girls) alone at the fairgrounds in the dark could potentially be unsafe and dangerous. Now, as a parent, I can see the reasoning, although I was a very responsible and safety-minded teen. After all, I was the voice of reason in what I remember as the "Burger King incident" with Mandy. (Remember Mandy?) Maybe I'll write about that sometime...

Enough chit-chat. Here are the photos:






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Burger King incident AND I also remember the coming home from the roller skating rink incident - MANDY!!

Anonymous said...

Oh - and about not letting you go to the Fair at night with your friends - yeah right! No way were we letting you do that - no flipping way. No regrets about that at all. Sorry sweetie.